Nota Bene

Heistbox (popularly known as Dropbox) has now permanently altered the accounts of its original users. (See my post, “Dropbox and the Snake Oil Sales Model of Tech Firms,” June 12, 2015). I think I have removed or updated all of my original Heistbox links; please write or tweet if you click somewhere and cannot get to the review or feature you would like to read. Thank you.

May 17, 2016

Ousmane Sembene's "Black Girl"

Mbissine Thérèse Diop, the star of Black Girl.
Films were meant to be seen on a large screen, and the new, stunning print of the late Ousmane Sembene's Black Girl (1966) is a case in point. This classic film, an indictment of French neocolonialism, has not been available for many years. Shot from an African-Senegalese perspective, it also represents a rare movie from the point-of-view of a woman of color. Read my review here: http://www.filmjournal.com/reviews/film-review-black-girl. Also, a link to my 2004 interview with the filmmaker for his last film, Mooladé (2004) is here: http://www.filmjournal.com/sembene-ousmane